The 2024 Access City Award is organised by the European Commission in partnership with the European Disability Forum.
This edition will have a special mention for cities whose work on accessibility is aligned with the values of the New European Bauhaus: sustainability, aesthetics, and inclusiveness.
Who can apply?
The Access City Award is open to
- all EU cities of over 50 000 inhabitants
- urban areas composed of two or more towns with a combined population of over 50 000 inhabitants, if they are in EU countries with fewer than 2 cities with over 50 000 inhabitants
Download the latest Rules of Contest of the Access City Award. The Rules of Contest must be adhered to in order for applicant cities to submit eligible applications.
- Participating in the Award is an opportunity to gain European recognition and a unique chance to review the current situation in your city.
- It also allows you to share experiences with other European cities, helping you to become an even better city to live and visit.
Winning cities receive a financial prize:
- 1st prize: €150 000
- 2nd prize: €120 000
- 3rd prize: €80 000
This year, the European Commission also intends to award a ‘New European Bauhaus’ special mention to a city whose work on accessibility is aligned with the values of the New European Bauhaus: sustainability, aesthetics, and inclusiveness.
The juries will consider measures taken and planned in the following areas:
- built environment and public spaces
- transport and related infrastructure
- information and communication, including new technologies (ICTs)
- public facilities and services
Prepare your application now in the application portal. The deadline to apply is 18 September 2023 at 12:00 CEST (noon).
Please carefully read the guidance note for applicants before you apply. It will help you fill in the sections in the application form correctly and describe your activities successfully
- 17 July 2023 : Launch of the competition
- 18 September 2023 noon (12:00 CEST): Application deadline
- Beginning of November 2023: Announcement of finalists
- 30 November 2023: Announcement of winner and runners-up at the award ceremony
The winners will be announced at an award ceremony during the European Day of Persons with Disabilities conference taking place on 30 November and 1 December 2023.
Previous winner: Skellefteå (Sweden)
You can find examples of best practice by the 2023 winner and finalists in the Access City Award 2023 brochure
- Publication date
- 19 June 2023
- European Commission: Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion